Thursday, July 31, 2014

Believe And You Can Achieve

A couple of weeks ago I started seeing all these 2015 futurity colts running already and looking great on my newsfeed. I got a little worried about how far behind my 4 year old is compared to them.  She was loping a solid pattern and wanted to run between them but was at the point that she needed to slow back down, work on her footwork and "come back to me."  I was just starting to work her on that when breeding season took over any free time I had to ride.  With being pregnant, I knew my time was limited on how long I could ride but breeding season took priority.

All I wanted was to put two more weeks on the pattern with my mare before she was put away until this winter when I'm officially back in the saddle.  Knowing that all I really wanted to do was go slow, temptation got the best of me and I saddled her up and climbed on.  It'd been six weeks since she had been rode, but she felt like it was just yesterday, never missing a beat.   I put her through her paces and she rode like a dream, soft, supple, waiting on me and literally right where we left off if not better!

I finished our workout, happy to be back in the saddle and less worried about the future.  I was reminded that I need to trust in the training and all that time I spent getting this colt broke and solid under saddle had paid off.  I also realized that the time off had done nothing bad to her.  She's never been the type of colt that I had to ride down before doing a job and was never the type to forget what we had been working on.  So my worries were for nothing.  Sure she might not be as far along as those colts cruising through the pattern, well on their way to being at the top in next years competition, but she will be solid.  She has the foundation to back her up and the mind set that she will catch back up fast.  Rest isn't such a bad thing after all!

  I felt good in the saddle but with an already bad back and SI problems, I decided if I kept that up for the next two weeks that the next three months of my pregnancy would be miserable. So, with a big smile on my face, I unsaddled my colt for the last time until after baby is born.  Sure I will miss being able to ride the next couple months but I really realize how much further this colt is even with the time off.  When I'm finally back in the saddle, I know that although she's bound to make mistakes and go through the motions that futurity colts go through, she has the foundation and mind to see her through.  She will be stronger and ready for the speed when I ask her, knowing how to place her feet and having the strength to easily do it.

My worries have been eased, my heart full, and my mind ready for the day that I can saddle the little palomino up and get to work.  It's a wonderful feeling and makes me even more excited about the future.  I don't need to worry about how far along others' colts are, rather I need to trust in the process, the foundation, and my colt.  We can only do what we can do and make the most of it.  If you believe, you can achieve!


PA Honey Im On Fire earlier this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment