Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blessed Are The Broodmares

"My name is Andrea and I'm a broodmare addict."  I've been told that the first step of recovery is admitting you have a problem. However, I've admitted that I've had this problem for years and well, it has only gotten worse. My husband might say that I'm a horse addict, which is true, but I love my mares!

Our stallion, Elvis.
I'm a dreamer. I'm always dreaming of that perfect cross on my stud, Elvis which will result in that perfect foal.  I love looking at bloodlines and studying them. Trying to figure out what will work best not only on our stud, but for the goals we are trying to accomplish. 





Babe


I could look at mares for hours, days, months...you get the picture. If money and pasture were not a factor, I'd really have a problem! Luckily, these past three years we have been blessed with several nice mares. Some I have rode personally or rode a sibling or similar bloodline, some have ran and won money on the race track or barrel pen, some have famous sires and are proven producers.  Regardless of what category(s) they fall under, they all bring something special to the equation.








Ivy
This year will be an exciting year for us as we ride our first Elvis foals and as those 2012 foals start arriving, it will be our best set of foals yet! And it should only get better from here. 
It is exciting to think of these foals and what they will become. Hopefully all the countless hours of dreaming of broodmares will pay off.  Which seeing all those healthy and correct foals are payment enough for me. The saying "Blessed are the broodmares", rings true for us; We are BLESSED!




No comments:

Post a Comment