Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mentally Tough Through Faith....

Barrel racing is a competitive sport.  Yes, I do it for fun but it is a because I'm a competitor that makes me want to come back for more.  There are many key elements you need to be a winner.  You can have the best horse, fanciest tack and equipment and be the best rider there is, but if your mental game is not part of that equation, you're going have a hard time winning.

I will admit that my mental game is pretty weak. I haven't always done bad, but if I was tough mentally, things would fall into place a lot easier.  There are times such as when I was in high school that my mental game was in pretty good form.  My horse Smoky gave me confidence and allowed me to know that no matter what, we could win.  We didn't always win, no - but we always came out a winner mentally.

Nowadays, I am running a variety of horses from some nice 1D horses all the way down to colts just starting out.  It has been hard for me to get my mental game back to par after Smoky, even though I've had success since.  With winter here right now and not competing all that much the past few months, I've been trying to spend some time to figure out how to become that mentally tough competitor.  There are many books and articles to read, videos to watch and even personal coaches, but what I keep coming back to day after day on my journey to mental toughness is a bible verse...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  -Jer. 29:11

The way I see it is I wouldn't be here or have the opportunity as a barrel racer if the Lord had not blessed me with it.  I know that if I say, "Lord it is in your hands. Lead the way." that he's not going to lead me astray. He is going to lead me to "hope and a future." 

There are many times that I have forgotten the power of this verse.  However, I have never forgotten the Lord's power and his gracious heart.  He gave us this gift. He will see us through.  Sure the books, videos and personal coaches will help, but faith is what I believe to be the first step and most important in order to be mentally tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment