Saturday, February 18, 2012

Take a deep breath....

There is something about horses that can just take you away from all your thoughts and fears.  Whenever you are having a bad day, just by swinging a leg over, you can be transported to another place about as close to heaven as you can get here on earth.

I find that there are certain horses that take me to this place and give me this feeling more often than others.  We have that special bond and connection that takes your breath away and warms your heart at the same time.

I felt this way not long ago with my stallion Elvis. I was not having the best of days and had the opportunity to saddle up. Elvis was the first in line for a reason.  That horse can take away my stresses within seconds of even looking at him.  When he looks at me with those big kind eyes, he looks into my heart and I feel it swell with love.  During our time together, he frees me of all my worries and carries my burdens. It's been a bond that has started since he was just born and as the years go by, just grows and grows.



Sometimes we are so focused on the training of our horses, preparing them for that big race that we over look that connection that separates a good team from a great team.  Our world and culture have us hustling from one thing to another that much of our lives move in fast forward.

I challenge you to take a day a week out of your busy training schedule and just go for a ride.  Enjoy the simpler things in life and enjoy your horse.  Take a deep breath and feel the connection between you and your horse grow.  You'll be surprised at how far your training will go even with that "day off". 

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment