Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Valentine....

Regardless of what many will say, I classify barrel racing as a team sport. In addition to your horse, you have your vet, farrier, coach, traveling partners, nutritionists, chiropractors and massage therapists who all make up part of your team. For me, I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the love and support of my husband.

My husband wears many hats in helping me with barrel racing and horses in general. He is my biggest fan. He is with me every step of the way from the start to the end. He does more work behind the scenes and never asks for the credit or acknowledgement.

My husband is my trainer.  He starts all of our colts, giving them that perfect foundation that makes starting them on barrels easy.  Whenever I have a problem, whether on a colt or finished horse, he will take the time to ride them or watch me and give me an honest and thought out assessment. Although he is no barrel racer and is proud to say that he's never even put a horse through the pattern, his knowledge about how to make a barrel horse work is outstanding. He is my second set of eyes. He keeps me and my horses in line whenever there is a problem and just keeps us clicking.

My husband is my farrier.  He went to a school to learn how to trim and shoe horses a few years ago. He has an eye for horses and the mechanics of their feet. He keeps all our horses' feet in good shape and sound. As barrel racers, we know the importance of a good farrier and well ladies, my husband is worth his weight in gold!

My husband is my business adviser. He has been a very crucial part in the improvement of our horses.  We've always had nice horses, but with his vision, our horses continue to improve in all aspects.  Our breeding program is where it is due to his vision of only raising the best.

My husband is my coach.  Sometimes, I really don't want to hear what he has to say because it rings the truth that I wish wasn't. He is always genuine and keeps our best interest at heart. He keeps me in line and keeps me grounded. He helps me set goals and to reach them.  He keeps me motivated.

My husband is my right hand man.  Whenever a fence is down, water isn't working, etc. he is right there to fix it or give me advice on how to fix it.  He's taught me a lot over the years, but my fence mending skills aren't quite up to his standards yet.  He keeps my barrel patch worked and the best ground possible to work the horses in.  He also helps me do chores and keep everything in check. 

My husband is my best friend. He deserves so much credit for where I am today. He constantly helps me be a better horsewoman, barrel racer, and person.

So on this Valentine's Day, I want to pay tribute to an amazing man and all his hard work and insight.  For every success I have in the barrel racing arena, a large part of it is his as well.  He is truly wonderful!

I love you Philip!

Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment